10.27.2012

An ode to Ziggy, Aladdin and The Thin White Duke


If you hadn't already guessed, I really, really like David Bowie. So much so that until recently I had quite a large, slightly creepy shrine to the man perched atop my bookcase. So this is where I get a tad sentimental
and explain just why I love him so darn much.

I don't want to go down the road of ''he was a pioneer who challenged conservative values and inspired outcasts and weirdos everywhere to be themselves'' but, um... he pretty much did. The man means a lot to me on a few different planes. First of all, just wow, his music. It's not only catchy, emotive and fun at the one time, but his lyrics speak volumes. Rock'n'Roll Suicide never fails to bring me to tears, and don't even get me started on Lady Grinning Soul. Along with the music, there's the look. Even when getting slapped across the face would fail to  register a reaction due to extreme cocaine use, the boy still managed to look good. From glitter clad onesies to well-fitted suits, Bowie was never one to follow trends. Whether understated or completely over the top, he somehow always managed to look completely authentic, something later glam-rockers failed to do ( take note, KISS). But aside from the music, the one thing I admire most about David Bowie is the freedom he gave the world. Every song, outfit or sultry glare down the barrel of a camera lens (do camera lenses have barrels? Probably not, no) exudes the attitude of "this is what I'm doing now, deal with it". His challenging of the claustrophobic norm allowed (among other things) men to wear lipstick and women to dye their hair shocking orange and don a slimming suit. And for that David, I thank you. Of course Mick Jagger took pride in looking a little like a woman (just watch Performance, seriously), but no-one did it quite as well as Bowie. And so for that I raise my glass to Ziggy, Aladdin and The Thin White Duke.








No comments:

Post a Comment